Magnificent India

Monday, November 27, 2006

The importance of humour

Understanding the sense of humour of a nation is a key element of understanding the culture and the language. Moreover it is a crucial aspect of developing and maintaining relationships with people from that country. Before you even try to understand their local language you should intensively study and analyze their jokes. One way of doing this is to nick a joke book from the guest house where you are no longer staying. Below you find a selection of Indian jokes from Khushwant Singh's Joke Book. According to my Indian colleagues it contains the best Indian jokes. Well judge for yourself. In my opinion we cannot all be as witty as the Poms and straightforward as the Dutchies.

Russians

Three Russian officials found themselves in jail. A Press reporter was allowed to interview them. He asked the first man, "Why were you sent to prison?" "I was late coming to the office, so the boss ordered me to be sent to jail.
When asked the same, the second person replied. "I went to the office before the scheduled time. The boss thought I was spying for a foreign country, so he had me locked up.
The third prisoner on having the question repeated, replied:"I arrived at the office on the dot. The boss ordered my arrest on the grounds that if I was punctual to the minute I must own an imprted and not a Russian watch."

Internal Affairs


Question: Why is the Indian Government the most neutral in the world?
Answ: Because it does not even interfere in its own affairs.

Elections

President Zia-ul-Haq's trusted barber seemed to have become infected by the polular demand for the restoration of democracy. One morning while clipping the President's hair he asked: "Gareeb pur war! when are you going to have elections in Pakistan?
The President ignored the question with the contempt it deserved from a military dictator. At the next hair-cutting session, the barber asked: "Aali jah! isn't it time you redeemed your promise to have elections?"
The President controlled his temper and remained silent.
On the third hair-clipping session the barber again blurted out: "Banda Nawaz, the awam (common people) are clamouring for eclections, when will you order them?"
The President could not contain himself anymore and exploded: "Gaddar! I will have you taught a lesson you will never forget". And ordered his minions to take away the barber and give him ten lashes on his buttocks.
The barber fell at the great man's feet and whined: "Zill-i-Ilahi (shadow of God) I eat your salt; how can I become a gaddar (traitor)? I only mentioned elections to make my job easier."
"What do you mean?"demanded Zia-ul-Haq.
"Every time I utter the word election, You Excellency's hair stands on edge and is much easier to clip."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home